1 January 1926: 2RN, the predecessor of Radio Éireann , was established. The advent of Radio was to transform the nature of communication in Ireland, eventually bringing even the remotest country homes into instant receivers of news and entertainment from the new station’s broadcasting studios.
Séamus Clandillon [above] was appointed the 2RN first Director of Broadcasting
Clandillon was a civil servant, teacher, singer and fluent Irish speaker, he was appointed Director of Broadcasting following two selection processes.
Dáil Éireann decreed by the Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1926, that broadcasting should be a state service, organised by the Postal Ministry and financed by licence fees, advertising and import duties on wireless sets and components.
‘2RN began broadcasting from a studio and office at 36 Little Denmark Street, now the site of the ILAC Centre in Dublin. The transmitter was a 1.5 KW Marconi Q type, broadcasting on 390 meters from a hut in McKee Barracks beside the Phoenix Park.
The station call-sign was originated by the British Post Office, the authority responsible at that time, and the name 2RN was thought to be inspired by the last three syllables of the song title "Come Back To Erin".
With only one studio there was a silent, or not so silent, interlude between the programmes as music stands and other furniture were moved about.
Douglas Hyde, founder of the Gaelic League and later the first President of Ireland, officially opened 2RN.